Sunday, October 7, 2018

What makes me capable to thrive in a research field?

 " Although these documents seem unrelated to my possible major, it illustrates some essential abilities that I possessed to master a heavy STEM-based program, especially, in an ELA way, meaning that I can combine and flourish in both."

  If you are really desperate for a TL;DR, MUN made me.
  But that's far from sufficient. I'll prove why exact this ELA event can justify my STEM latent.

Qualification




Pin Yang(@the_op_blutsauger)分享的貼文 於 張貼
  First, let me show you a news article, before going to my MUNner profile.



  This reports a city-hosted official MUN that I was appointed as a Chair. In the photo of this article, I was on the rightmost and the mayor was the left 2. I attached it as a kind of "certificate" to my ability in this field, but my most rewarding experience in MUN is in a privately hosted one, which would be included later in this post.
  Apart from what every MUNners would do: listing all the MUNs they went to and awards that others cannot be certain about what it represents, this news article elaborates what I've done is at least recognizable by the real world.

A FULL LIST OF MY AWARDS:
IMUN Youth 2016 DISEC as DPRK: BD
DHAP Singapore 2017 IOC as UK: OD
NTMUN 2017: Chair
DynaMun 2018: Co-Chair
NTCMUN 2018 UNCCT as Azerbaijan: OD
Conferences as Delegate/ Awards (excluding mocks): 5/3


Theories and Ideology

  I consider myself a conservative.
  Now that I do realize a lot of schools are liberal pursuers, I still embrace conservatism. This also influenced my MUN style. Owing to my ideology and all the cliches that MUN has, I'm very annoyed by the "politically correct" phrases such as "setting up an organization to assist" or repeatedly saying "protect human rights and condemn", "seek for true immediately" or "donate money to the poor unconditionally."
  Bentham's philosophy is more appropriate for me. I do admit that human cannot survive without collaborating, nonetheless, I cannot tolerate automatic, or sometimes, phoney, showboating sacrifices. When people are being asked to be politically correct saint publically, it is my observation that their action in the dark tend to deviate to the other side, cancelling out the goods they have done. Under that case, it is safe to conclude that we shall allow a little self-interest before reaching out to help others, else, when dissatisfaction and moral pressure aggregates, one day, it erupts.
  Thus, I wrote these three articles when I was a co-chair of DYNAMUN to express that I would not seek for a politically correct slogan to judge one delegate's success, but how he or she have done to their country.

1. The Art of a Proper Act

  This article mainly tells the delegates that his or her country's interest shall be considered as primary. This is to combat a phenomenon-- that every single delegate aligns due to their similar background and values in the real world, giving out, again, my favourite phrase, "politically correct" answers which usually doesn't have a lot of beef.

Highlight:
"There is no such thing as right or wrong in “downgrading” a country’s diplomatic soft-power, as internationally leading countries often need to spend more to maintain their higher status in exchange of national pride. The objectors of Trump simply view the pride of holding international duties and obligations over realistic, booming economic profit."

2. Why shouldn't we alter historical mistakes?

  This article discusses why we shouldn't judge. Values changes and varies from place to place, from time to time. Absurdity arises because of lacking understanding. Thus, we often criticize the old throne ages as "dictating", it is, however, unfair.

Highlight:
"...the belief behind it is simple: “Since the current version of history is tolerable, let it be, lest it should become worse.” If Napoléon remained in power, how can we ensure that he will stay as sharp as he was? Even if this did occur, what influence would this have on his successors? In fact, we can already observe a decline of his regime..."

3. Do not embrace a better world

  The core of this article is to tell people to be more sincere to others -- we see people speaking beautifully about equality while deviating when off light. Instead of pretending to be a politically correct saint on paper, what we should do is to acknowledge that people can't eradicate the affinity to treat "me" (self) better. On the basis of that, we can then talk about delegating our extra strength to others when we can fulfill our bottom line. Yet, a social-welfare infrastructure doesn't sound ideal for me, a firm supporter of a small right-wing government.

Highlight:
"... Supporting the opinion of these mainstream outlets does not make you equipped with an international perspective; neither does embracing left values, even though you are told to do so. The most important thing we have to do, aside from doing researches and prepare for the oral presentation in MUN, is to sharpen our critical thinking skills. Always think from the other side when applicable and build your own opinion from a place of fact and not feeling. Do not be afraid to speak out, upon doing so, you will realize that Trump is not trying to demolish the world. He is just making calculated moves, which he believes will benefit him and those he cares for most, true in nature to be the egotistical species that we all are."


Production

   My proudest production at this moment is this. (Click on "this")
  The link goes to the conference preparation handbook for the Security Council in DYNAMUN 4th, unabridged from what it was in the actual conference. Though claimed to be co-authored by four, I was the real writer behind this since I was responsible for all paperwork. For reference, there was a revision update to correct typos and add additional contents to this document, however, I did not include it here.

  Although this document seems unrelated to my possible major, it illustrates some essential abilities that I possessed to master a heavy STEM-based program, especially, in an ELA way, meaning that I can combine and flourish in both. One is to grasp important concepts and break them into small absorbable pieces. I personally like to do this trick a lot, because sometimes, learning can be an inevitable endeavour, regardless of how rewarding it is after mastering. This is especially critical to Taiwan's MUN circle. In Taiwan, many conferences which are not that competitive have a problem: People are lazy to prepare and want to rely on impromptu thoughts. This often leads to simplification of the issue and breaks the intricate design of the conference balance.

  To overturn, I dedicated a rarely seen section to the handbook-- Individual country stances. This section was critical because it enabled us to slightly steer how the conference would pan out. Without this, conferences usually don't go our way and the hall turns into an unknown realm, whether for the dais or for delegates. Thus, the discussion usually stays vague and cannot provide substantial contents, because no one would've prepared such broad scope.

  Additionally, this section allowed us to foster delegates into looking for useful datum and acting more loyal to what they represented. Acting loyal to one's representing benefits everyone else -- Others can follow conventional guidelines and diplomatic facts, instead of being shocked by someone's wild thoughts. While I was constructing this section, I had to consider:

1. Whether this country is interesting for the delegate,
Some delegates feel let down when they draw countries that are not P5s or significant to the issue. While someone has to play these roles, my job is to ensure every delegate who paid to this conference will have a fulfilling experience.

2. Whether delegates can go competitive,
Some countries do not have a clear stance to side with. Some else don't have the stance to act against their bloc leaders. My job here is to provide ammo and let each delegate realizes, they represent their country, not their bloc. Each delegate, if applicable, all shall have a shot to shine, of course catering to their representing country's interests.

3. Will my words be too manipulating or too vague?
I have to balance between providing inspirational hints and just "doing homework" for the delegates to ensure that delegates could dig more with their own effort instead of being lost in Google for not knowing where to start with, but avoiding becoming lecturer myself.

  Looking back on the traits I demonstrated as the co-chair of this conference, I believe that I have benefited more than the employer took from me. I can now think more comprehensively and view things from a rational perspective. I also enhanced my ability to skim, scan, deduct, sort and output valid information. It was the newbie passion that kept me moving, nonetheless, I felt like a veteran after the conference. It was more rewarding than the one time I was appointed as a chair in a city-hosted MUN.

  Here is another document that had me involved in (the one that I chaired), the NTMUN handbook.

Chuckle time!
http://dynaunsccrisis18.blogspot.com/

  This is the crisis that I made at dynamun 2018, stating that our good old cold-war enemy is actually an American(just a joke! For fun sake).

Some other things
A teaching material for my junior
  This is a worksheet that I have designed to teach my junior MUN how-tos. I am one of the student counsellors in MUN club, specializing at bringing mediocre delegates to above-average and within reach of prizes.

A (mandarin) article on a skill that I specialize in MUN
  I am good at leading small blocs into victory. This explains the method, unfortunately, in Chinese at the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment