Sunday, October 14, 2018

What Other Interests Do I Have?

  I remembered reading an article titled "How I ate my weight in Burritos and got into ***". I was particularly fascinated by this quote:
I definitely could have “done more” in high school. But the point is that I really didn’t need to [...] the strongest part of my college application was the fact that I made it my application. You don’t have to do anything in particular to get into Hopkins, and the difference between me right now and me before *** proves why I got in, and why I deserve to be here. 
  Looking at this quote, I was relieved. I really thought that in order to have a chance to be admitted, I must write everything biologically, and I need to probably do poking frogs or cutting ribs all the time to "show my interest and potential in this biology field". However, now I am assured that you care about who I am in or outside my potential field of major, instead of just looking at my GPAs in biology or special accolades.

  I am grateful for this. To repay, I want to tell you more about me, because I know that my words matter for you, and I feel respected even before I began applying.

1. Football Varsity


  My great passion for football led me to the football club. Although I am not even 5'6'', I had the honour to captain my school's football varsity team for a year and was the first choice goalie. Much to my chagrin, however, my job was not merely "keeping the club functioning normally," but rescuing a boat that seemed destined to sink. The school board issued numerous warnings to our former president, but he was recalcitrant enough to ignore any advice to revamp the club. Thus, what I had at the start of the new semester was a team that drew one and lost six games in last year's official games and almost zero support. Also, with no one doing logistics works such as documenting training records, the club understandably fell into the bottom half of the inter-club evaluation ranking.

  My first alteration tackled the evaluation phase. I assigned fellow top-tier kids into writing records, and I also had to sacrifice some of my training to take pictures for the year-end evaluation. It worked, thankfully. For the first time in school history, a sports club was placed in the top half of the table, surpassing the likes of debate club and other academic-oriented counterparts. This boosted people's confidence and they seemed to train more confidently, like a victor.

  A few months later, we engaged in another year of official games. One game particularly caught my memory. It was against a team that was far stronger than us -- perhaps even "David versus Giant" was no exaggeration. If it were last year's edition, our team would likely collapse under a split second. However, this year, the team's defence held on tight and no goal was allowed after extra time, forcing a penalty shootout. Some lads scored, some missed. When it was down to me, the game was tied at 2:2 and I was the last kick taker. As I slotted home the ball and rewrote the scoreline, every team members screamed in ecstasy. I uncovered more on what a leader is composed of: the capability to diagnose an issue, plan drafting, and perfection. I went on to use this successful experience in many fields. Yet, without the club giving me a chance to shine, I would never discover how far I could go, how amazing my life story could have been.

  The following two links are the development report I was required to write as both the chair and the captain of the school varsity team. It had some typos in it, but I did not alter it to present you how it was exactly like at the evaluation.


Varsity Team Development Report 2
(From the evaluation data)

Side Note: I'm also a badminton lover, though I'm not in varsity. Ever since I entered year 12 when the preparation of college became intense, badminton became my top sports as I play at least two hours, sometimes four to six per week.

2. Exam and Mocks designing

  One experience that I could almost say I "abused" in my application is my loving to teach. MUNs, Earth Science, I made papers and mocks when I need to, and when I don't need to. I feel that this part would purely become a showcase of all the past exam papers that I have made, so I'll just be very brief here and putting only one.
  I remembered the first time I did this was because of preparing midterm. I hated Taiwan education at that time, emphasizing on memorizing, unfortunately, that made me had to use the old day's method: copy texts, wipe out some words and refill. Ever since then, making exams became a fun for me.
One of my self-designed English Test Paper

3. Spanish Self-Taught

  Before you begin questioning.
  YES! I KNOW THAT THIS IS ONLY AN A2. And in the U.S. many take Spanish anyways. 
  Still, I am not an American. In Taiwan, Spanish is merely elective, lying deep down in the pool that meanwhile has other interesting things to choose. So, I didn't choose the Spanish class as well. I bought books, and I started to write. I downloaded podcasts, then I started to listen and speak.
  I learned Spanish because, in this internationalized world, it is important that we learn more language to reduce the communication barrier...

  NO WAY.

  I personally view this certificate as a proof to my self-determination on learning something that I'm interested in. The two major reasons that I wanted to learn Spanish were:
1. For fun. Cool. Getting girls.
2. Watching "El Ministerio Del Tiempo (The ministry of time)"
  I didn't only learn it because it was useful or because I know one day I'll apply to your school. I did it because I like it.
  And when I like something, I commit to it.
  That's what made this blog's contents.

4. International Affairs

  • Exchange Families
      I was involved in my school's HCI-NSSH program for three straight years: First year as a program member who hosts, the second year as the program leader who both hosts and exchanges (to Singapore), and the third year as a logistic.
      I remain good friends with two different Hwa-Chongians that I've hosted to date. Hosting a foreigner is really a challenge for me, especially when knowing that they were from one of the top three high schools in Singapore. It was a challenge both physically, mentally and intellectually. What I found out is that I actually learned more and know how to introduce Taiwan, how to move around in the city when hosting these awesome people. I never had a brother or sister, and these people sharing a room with me was the two times that I felt more at home than being at home. I was able to reconstruct my private life -- not literally drink, girls wide private life, but my custom, sanitary, and etc.
      Served as a programme leader, the biggest task is that if something doesn't work as expected, you can't just tolerate it and let things pass. You need to make up for the lost. This includes numerous hours of communication and confirmation of the booking. I remembered when I went to Singapore, I was locked out of the dorm because I did not have a key card with me. I also remembered my buddy almost cried because he considered himself not doing well enough as the programme leader of his side. I would never let that happen to my guest! 


  •   To be honest, I didn't learn to plan schedules until I assumed the role of exchange program leader. I think I did OK. Here is a poll from the supportive guests!

  •   This poll is not here to show my ability (haha), but rather how nice they were to me.

      I also used to host one of my best friend and another great lad from HK before, but I'll leave it out for now because I'm getting this too long.

      Do read page 13-17 on this school magazine link regarding the host family event.

      I do want to showcase my two buddies in the end. They are the two in yellow. The one on the leftmost was also involved in the program but was not a host.
  • Diplomatic Competition
      The diplomatic contest is a very special thing. There are regionals and national finals. In regionals, there are two rounds: The first round, four members must cast a five-minute show; the second round, four members need to give a prepared speech. I participated in it for two straight years and unfortunately, both fell short at regionals.
      The second year was particularly painful for me, but it nonetheless made me trust my teammates more. (Virtually and in heart-ly) crying together for the lost, our bounds were strengthened tight. Now, I do see the risk of presenting the very upset part of me, but that was an article full of reflection, and I guess office is looking for my reflection. Please do read more, especially the comment section. I was a really upset man, crying to an extent that I had never been, but I found peace hanging out with these awesome people.
  • Translate Videos
    Here's a stat of my youtube channel:

    Click here to access the full picture

      As you may see, I have around one million total played minutes on my channel, with the ten translating productions covering over 75% of them. One particular standout was this:


  •   This video is a sports illustrative production documentary on their 2012 sports kids of the year. Back when I was year eight, there was a unit about this event in our "English Textbook". However, as you may know, Taiwanese at year 8 generally do not have the ability to listen to a documentary without subtitles, and no one bothered to translate this, not even the publisher. Thus, I took on the job.
      Judging from the views it had, the purpose was clearly fulfilled.

      Another successful series on the channel that wrapped 400,000 views was this:


  •   This is a continuation to the "Yourchonny Cat Mario" gameplay translation series. Episode 1-5 were translated by others, but for some reason, the original translate worker decided not to keep going on. I thus claimed the initiative and bagged 400,000 views for my channel to date.

      Why did I like to do this? It's hard to tell. One place I found a sense of achievement was when I saw the view count ticking upwards or statistic lines bending up. I'm not certain whether this information might be useful but since these are what I used to spend times on, I attached it.

5. Family and Friends' relation

  I didn't want to make this place a photo gallery of my close friends so I will end this section quick.
  First one, simply put. This is most of the "207", a little squad consists of nine boys (or ten, depends) in my class. Basically one of the groups that I hang out with a lot. They are all good people. One of them might apply to your school too. Please do give him an upper hand haha! (Joking)
  Friends are very important to me, sometimes too important. I did some stupid things and abused the means of friendship. I used to be too possessive and searched for a friendship that actually accounted for a relationship. I don't think I'm authorized to recount here, but, I do owe him an apology (in this picture). One thing that I have learnt was to know the red lines, but otherwise consistently push to the limits -- doing crazy s**ts together, and that's what friends are for. Senior high school students are the last batch of life that you would have completely same focus in mind -- college entrance. The mutual pressure made these charming stupids aren't just friends, but my dearest family.

  Oh. And my true family is here:

  Needless to say, I love my families. The friends' family and the real family. These two grew me up, breed me up, and now I even got a chance to be in front of your consideration, it all had to come down to their support.

  I had some other friends' pictures in stock that meant a lot to me, but I don't think I should be showcasing a group of photos that probably meant next to nothing for you, because you don't know them. Thus, a disclaimer is, those who aren't here doesn't mean they are not important, for example, Shawn, Enoch and Hui. I doubt whether the admission office is bothered to check my Instagram, but you can see them all up here.


No comments:

Post a Comment